Where do I go from Here?

Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Best Date I've Ever Had


This is a picture of John and Kim's Daughter, Bethany. Their son, John Michael is in Houston right now, but Bethany is still in Duncan. I love these kids like they were my own. I hope one day, I can have kids with personalites as big as these two. So different. John Michael is a sensitive, tender, baseball and peace loving 7 yr old. Bethany is a rough and tumble, play in the floor, "catch me Bwudda Bwyan," 3 yr old girl.

Last weekend John and Kim wanted to go out, and asked me to keep Bethany, to which I definetively agreed. Upon arrival at the Culley house, Bethany met me halfway across the floor saying, "Will you take me on a date, Bwudda Bwyan?" John and Kim had been talking about their date and I guess Bethany didn't want to be left out. Kim said that cars was showing at the cheap show and we still had time to grab a "Chicky Nugget" Happy meal at McDonalds. So I said, "Sure, B." (That's what we call her..."B") Anyway we traveled to Mickey D's and then on to the movies, primed and ready for, "Tow Mater and Lighting McQueen." We got our ticket (Notice the singular ending on ticket, another advantage to taking a three year old on a date, she gets in free at the movies.) and settled into our seat. About 5 minutes into the movie, Bethany is out like a light and stays that way for the rest of what turned out to be a very good movie. Upon our leaving the theatre, on the way to the Culley family van, B said grogily with squinted eyes, "Bwudda Bwyan, are we gonna go on our date now." Maybe the single cutest statement I've ever heard, she didn't know what a date really was, but she wanted to go on one. If I would have been made of butter I would have melted right there in the parking lot. Bethany and John Michael have a special place in my heart and I hope that I'm here long enough to see them grow up.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home